Rice milk is incredibly easy and quick to make and only requires 2 ingredients!
I make a lot of our food from scratch because it’s so much cheaper than store bought. Plus, the store bought stuff usually has pretty crappy ingredients.
Let’s get to it then!
This recipe makes 1 quart (4 cups) of rice milk
- 1/4 cup rice (I use Jasmine)
- 2 cups filtered water plus more to top it off later
- optional ingredients are a dash of salt and 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
To make the rice milk
- Add rice, 2 cups of water, optional salt, and cinnamon to a small pot
- Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer and cover
- Allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes (the goal is to overcook the rice)
- When cooked, pull off heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes or so
- Add contents of pot to a blender
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into a quart sized mason jar and fill with filtered water to top
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week
You can use rice milk as you would any other alternative milk. I put it in my coffee and I bake with it.
Note that this rice milk won’t be as thick as any store bought alternative milk products because it isn’t made with any thickeners. But I don’t mind.
It’s a great frugal alternative to the expensive store bought crap so it works for us!